Sunday, June 22, 2008

Our Story

This could be a long one but I'll try to give you the abridged version.

Robb and I married in December 1996 in the Salt Lake Temple after meeting in our mission in the Canary Islands (Spain).


I graduated from BYU in 1997 and we moved to Logan, UT where Robb finished his degree. While we were at Utah State, we decided it was time to start our family. After one unsuccessful year, we were just about to start fertility medications when I was rushed to the ER with severe pain on my right side. I thought I had appendicitis. This is when the doctors determined I had endometriosis. Endometriosis doesn't always mean the end of the road but it has proved to be a major roadblock for us.

Three years later and after surgery, myriads of other tests, and fertility medications, we felt strongly that we should look into adoption. Nine months to the day after we called for information at LDS Family Services, our first son, Zackary, was born in San Diego, CA on September 20, 2001.





We were placed with him at midnight and on the way back to my sister-in-law's we ran out of gas on I-5 and we didn't even care! We had our baby! What an amazing change to our lives that was.

When Zack was 14 months old, we decided to start the process again because we feared it would take longer the 2nd time. Well, about 9 months later we were placed with our second son, Bryce. He was born in St. George, UT on the 4th of July, 2003.



And did Zack love his new baby brother!


So we had two boys that were about 22 months apart, not exactly what we planned, but we took it and loved it. They are now such good friends (and cohorts in crime).

Sometimes adoption can be scary and people have bad experiences but both our relationships and experiences with our birthmoms were amazing. They were both very different as were both placements but we are and continue to be blown away by the strength they had to put aside their own desires for the benefit and well being of their babies. They are both unbelievable examples to us.

After about 3 years, we decided we would try some fertility treatments again. I took my first step into a fertility clinic and, I have to admit, it just never felt quite right. We went through 2 rounds of artificial insemination and I was DONE. All I felt when leaving that place was anxiety and I just new it wasn't right. In the next few months, both Robb and I had a few experiences that both led us back to adopting again. We prayed about it separately and the night we prayed about it together was so powerful. There was no doubt in our minds this is what Heavenly Father wanted for our family. Our boys were so excited when we told them we were going to adopt again. They can't wait to give loves to their new baby brother or sister.

So here we are, paperwork done for the third time, and waiting on our next little tyke. We are so grateful for the family God has created for us through adoption. I'm so grateful that Robb and I were able to find each other and that we are both so passionate about building our family this way. We feel the Lord has blessed our lives immensely and feel honored to give these little babies an eternal family to be with forever.

2 comments:

The Toy Guru said...

Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts and feelings with the rest of us. I LOVE your pictures!! Your 2002 family picture is adorable. Zack looks alot like Alec at that age.

Lynette said...

Wow Kris...so neat to read your story!!! Hope this 3 time goes fast...and you get a new bundle of joy very soon!!!

Love you!!!