Saturday, June 28, 2008

Circle of Adoptive Friends

When we used to live in Idaho, it was rare that you ran into adoptive families. I don't know if it was the area we lived in or what but since we moved to Colorado, we have noticed that adoption is much more of a common occurence. And not just in the LDS community but all around. I can think of 7 or 8 families alone in my ward that have or are in the process of adopting. Some have infertility issues, some have health issues, and some just do it to do it. Whatever the reason, I feel lucky to associate with all the open and amazing families.

I'm part of an adoption support group that I try to go to when I can and we just had a get together this last Friday. The moms sat and chatted about lots of things, where we're at in the adoption process, funny things that sometimes go wrong (like our hilariously erroneous homestudy), and many other topics. The kids all played outside on the slip and slides and the trampoline and then we had a potluck lunch. What a great way to get together and strengthen each other and have my kids interact with other adopted kids and see what a positive experience it can be. I just feel very lucky to live in the area where I do where we can get the support we need as an adoptive family!

2 comments:

KrisJ said...

I agree! I love that our kids have somewhere to go where they are the norm! We need to do a group photo next time and see all the beautiful kids together dont you think!!

Jill said...

Hey Kris, I am a friend of Ali Haley's and also a contributor to her (our) new blog!! I thought I would pass on to you another blog! Her name is Lindsey and she is amazing! She is also adopting, this will be their 2nd baby. www.therhouse.blogspot.com She even has an area to have your profile set up through her blog!
Anyways I am excited for you and your family to adopt again! How exciting! I look forward to reading your contributions to the blog and to your own family blog!!
Jill